Library related information for Faculty
Plagiarism Review Request
Use this form if you have a concern about a research paper that you would like to have reviewed to eliminate or validate your concerns.
Academic Integrity Violation
Use this form if a violation has been found. This form will be emailed directly to the Dean of the course program.
- Similarity Report Interpretation (video)
- Document Details (video)
- PDF Instructions (PDF)
Copyright Request Form
Electronic resources can be directly uploaded into your Canvas Course shell via a permalink if in one of the CIU licensed research databases OR after copyright permission from the publisher has been granted. Fill out this form to request copyright permission to upload PDFs and for the scanning of books or articles. Copyright guidelines, for the most part, are applicable to digital material as well as the “traditional” forms of material. https://www.copyright.gov/title17/chapter1.pdf
REMEMBER: There are some permission types that are automatically covered through CIU's Copyright Clearance Licensing unbrella - those will recieve immediate approval and should be reviewed annually to ensure that the permission has not changed.
Anything not covered automatically by this licensing agency will need semester by semester approval. These permissions may take time to obtain; the permissions procedure should begin at least six weeks prior to when you need to usea specific work.
BUT WHAT ABOUT FAIRUSE? I can just use the article I want under fair use, correct? Section 107 of the Copyright Code allows for use of copyrighted material for classroom use. The section lists four factors to be considered together in order to determine if the intended use is compliant to the Fair Use Doctrine: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html
- The purpose and character of the use;
- The nature of the copyrighted work;
- The amount of the work to be used;
- The effect of the use on the potential market for the work.
→ It is the responsibility of the faculty member wishing to use the work to determine if the use falls within the four factors.
- Check if the library has the full-text. If so, the permalink can be added to the course site.
- Check if the article is available on the open web. If so, the link can be added to the course site. (However, unlike library articles, these links might not be reliable forever.)
- Check if the journal has copyright permission in RightFind. If so, the article can be requested through interlibrary loan and the pdf added to the course site. (This can only be done 5 times for articles from the same journal, then the journal title needs to be purchased by the library.)
- Check if the journal would be useful to be purchased by the library.
- Or find a different article for the course.
Print Reserve Request Form
Books placed on Reserve can be used when all students are expected to read a chapter from a book but not the entire book.
On-Campus Courses Only
Library Resource Purchase Request Form
Use this form to request the library to purchase Journal Subscriptions, Print and/or electronic books, DVDs, or a Research Database.
Cynthia Snell, AA - Biology, BA - Psychology, MSIT - Instructional Technology, MAR - Pastoral Counseling, MBA - Leadership, Ed.S. - Leadership, MSLS - Library Science
Liaison to College of Business, College of Education, Counseling Programs, Nursing and Science Programs
Kevin Flickner, BA - Bible and Intercultural Studies, MDiv - Academic Ministries, MLIS - Library Science
Liaison to College of Arts and Sciences, College of Intercultural Studies, Seminary and School of Ministry