NIDNTTE New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
How to find your word's entry
There are several options for finding the entry for your word in NIDNTTE:
- Look up the Greek word--NIDNTTE is arranged in alphabetical order by Greek word, but it also has the G/K # so you might be able to find your word using the G/K #. See this page for resources that provide the G/K #. If you have the Strong's #, there is a conversion chart in the back of Volume 5.
- List of Concepts (front of Volumes 1,2,3,4)--the List of Concepts is in English alphabetical order.
- Greek Word Index (near the back of Volume 5)--listed in alphabetical order by Greek word; it also has the G/K # and refers you to another Greek word and G/K # if the entry is under another word.
- Scripture Index (front of Volume 5)--the Scripture index might not be the easiest method because although it lists page numbers where verses can be found, you don't know which word in the verse those pages are referring to.
- kupios G3261 on pages 768-778 of Volume 2.
- Lord, Master (page 55 of Vol. 1), points you to God; Ruler. G3261 is not listed under "God, Deity" but it is listed under "Ruler, Lord, Leader, Govern".
- kupios G3261 on page 356 (Vol. 5); if you were looking for the word kupiotns G3262, it refers you to kupios G3261.
- Matthew 1:20 does not give the correct page numbers for "Lord" because it is not mentioned in the section above. You would have to look at another verse like Matthew 10:24-25 and look at each of the following pages: vol. 1: 206; vol. 2: 774; vol. 3: 224, 226. Then you will find that page 774 (vol. 2) is in the midst of the section on G3261.
How to use your word's entry
- Note that NIDNTTE groups Greek words with the same root meaning but different parts of speech together. At the beginning of each entry, related concepts are also listed.
- GL--Discussion of the word and related terms in classical Greek literature.
- JL--Discussion of the word and related terms in Jewish Literature, especially the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament known as the Septuagint (LXX), but also discussion of the Hebrew text, Philo, Josephus, the Dead Sea Scrolls and rabbinic writers.
- NT--Discussion of the word and related terms in the NT, noting statistical occurrences, the use in relation to the background, and specific emphases of individual writers and writings.
- Bibliography--at the end of each entry is a bibliography, which also contains page numbers for TDNT, EDNT, TDOT, and NIDOTTE.
- This entry covers not only the noun G3261 but also related words: G3257, G3258, G3262, G3259, G2894. Related concepts: Fight, Triumph; Ruler.
- GL--pages 768-769.
- JL--pages 769-773.
- NT--pages 773-777
- Statistics and usage.
- Human lords and masters.
- God as Lord.
- Jesus as Lord.
- The lordship of Christ.
- Bibliography--pages 777-778; TDNT 3:1039-98; EDNT 2:328-32; TDOT 1:59-72; NIDOTTE 1:256-61, 275.