TDNT Theological Dictionary of the New Testament by Kittel
(TDNT) Theological Dictionary of the New Testament by Gerhard Kittel (Editor)
Call Number: BS 2312 .K513
There is also a red one-volume abridged version of TDNT:
Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (Abridged in One Volume) by Geoffrey W. Bromiley (Editor)
Call Number: BS 2312 .K513 1985a
Abridged, one-volume edition of Kittel.
Sometimes referred to as Little Kittel
- English Keywords Index (first section in volume 10)
- Greek Keywords Index (second section in volume 10)--the Greek Keywords Index is arranged by Greek word but also has the Strong's #.
- Biblical References Index (starting on page 89 of volume 10)--might not be the easiest method because although it lists page numbers where verses can be found, you don't know which word in the verse those pages are referring to.
- New Englishman's
- lord (page 37 of volume 10)--I:488-489; III:1039-1095. You'd have to look in both locations to determine which section covers "lord."
- 2962 (page 73 of volume 10)--III:1039-1095.
- Matthew 1:20 (page 372 of volume 10) lists the following pages (you have to check each one to find your word)--I:103; 776; III:172; 435n14; 436; 1087, (n255); IV:1099; V:221; 235; 236; 350; 351; 835; VI:402; 404; VII:272; VIII:486; 553; IX:2; 208, n104
- K 3:1039
- TDNT 3:1039-98
Note that TDNT groups Greek words with the same root meaning but different parts of speech together. In each entry, you can find:
- Discussion of the word and related terms in classical Greek literature.
- Discussion of the word and related terms in Jewish Literature, especially the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament known as the Septuagint (LXX), but also other Jewish writings.
- Discussion of the word and related terms in the NT.
- The Meaning of the Word kupios
- Gods and Rulers as kupios
- The OT name for God
- "Lord" in Later Judaism
- kupios in the New Testament
- On pages 1095-1098, related Greek words are discussed.